I hope that everyone enjoyed the Easter holidays and the glorious weather that we had.
We have had an exciting week here at Beckfoot Thornton.
On Tuesday, 12 of our Year 11 students attended Woodhouse Grove as part of their GCSE PE moderation. Students were a credit to the school, demonstrating excellent levels of effort and commitment with a great attitude. Thank you and well done to Dominik, Luca, Cameron, Nathan, Jack, Callum, Yousuf, Eve, Olivia, Danielle, Emma and Isobel.
With the weather getting milder, our visits to Doe Park have started again. Year 7 students have been enjoying a range of exciting activities including rock climbing!
On Wednesday, students from Year 12 were involved in a career’s session. Providers from Barclays came in to school to give Year 12's a talk on interview practice.
As you will see in Mrs Beavers’ post on the website, 26 of our Year 7 students attended the third instalment of the Junior Engineering Engagement Project yesterday. Students had a great time learning more about facilities management career opportunities.
Last night, I had the absolute privilege of watching the Beckfoot Thornton Dance Showcase. It was lovely to see so many parents and carers supporting the students and the school. The performances were outstanding. Well done!
In 2019, the Islamic holy month of Ramadhan overlaps with the School’s Summer Term exam period. Fasting can affect the body in different ways, if you are observing Ramadhan you may wish to consider how fasting may impact your preparation for and sitting exams. Key points to consider:
- Be well prepared and start your revision in good time
- Have a revision plan or strategy
- Ensure you are well rested, staying in the shade if it is hot and limit physical activity, resting when possible.
- Dehydration is a common occurrence during a fast, therefore ensure you adequately hydrate before you fast and rehydrate when breaking fast.
- When sitting an exam, ensure you take a bottle of water with you in case of emergency.
- Plan meals to ensure you have a pre-dawn meal that has slow-release energy food and you are able to access food and water at sundown for breaking the fast.
- Mentally prepare for the day ahead and work out how you can overcome any difficulties. If you have any concerns please do discuss with your head of year.
The school takes no stance on fasting during examinations. If you do experience difficulties during the examination period, please inform one of the examination team or see your head of year. As usual, our prayer room is available.
Enjoy the bank holiday weekend. I look forward to seeing your children at the usual time on Tuesday 7th May.