Everyone at Beckfoot Thornton firmly believes in creating a safe and nurturing environment for our students. This extends to making sure that students learn how to use and conduct themselves responsibly in a new digital age.
There are many aspects of our lives now affected by Information and Communication technologies, from Internet devices at home, to mobile devices we carry with us. We should also not forget the pace at which these technologies develop, and how we can prepare our students for the life long journey that they are embarking on in an ever changing world.
Some of the technologies that our students have told us they use are:
- The World Wide Web
- Email/Instant messaging such as iMessage or WhatsApp
- Social Media such as Facebook or Twitter
- “Traditional” telephone calls
- Gaming and online gaming
- Music downloading
Each of these technologies can be used across a range of devices, including mobile devices that they might carry with them.
We ask our community to support us by taking the following responsibilities:
- Help and support the school in promoting eSafety
- Discuss eSafety concerns with their children, show an interest in how they are using technology, and encourage them to behave safely and responsibly when using technology
- Consult with the school if they have any concerns about their child’s use of technology
- To agree to and sign the home-school agreement containing a statement regarding their personal use of social networks in relation to the school
- Parents and carers will support the school approach to online safety and not deliberately post comments or upload any images, sounds or text that could upset or offend any member of the school community or bring the school into disrepute
- To report any concerns to school
Parents might find it useful to look at the following documents for more advice and guidance and how they can get involved with e-Safety. It is important the try and overcome the notion that there is an "online world" alongside the one in which we physically operate. Learning that life online is now an ordinary aspect of our day to day lives helps overcome some of the problems that we encounter.