My name is Mr Paul Garside, I am Head of Engineering.
During the academic year 2018-2019, I am running a STEM club which will focus on the subjects of Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. STEM is important because it is involved in every part of our lives.
Science is everywhere in the world around us. Technology is continually expanding into every aspect of our lives.
Engineering is the basic designs of roads, cars, aircraft and bridges, but also tackles the challenges of changing global weather and environmentally-friendly changes to our home. Mathematics is in every occupation and every activity we do in our lives.
By exposing students to STEM and giving them opportunities to explore STEM-related concepts, they will develop a passion for it and hopefully pursue a job in a STEM field.
The STEM club will take place in the form of a weekly after school session where students will attempt to solve a STEM based problem. Students will be expected to design and manufacture solutions to the problems, solutions will then be displayed around the school.
The STEM club will initially be open to Years 7, 8, and 9. Types of students who might be interested in attending are:
· Students (boys and girls) who enjoy both designing and manufacturing in a well-equipped workshop.
· Students who enjoy maths and science and are keen to use these subject in order to problem solve.
· Students who may be interested in following a career that involves STEM.
· Confident, resilient students who like a challenge and refuse to give up.
What will you gain from attending this club?
· STEM club will build and encourage problem solving skills. In STEM activities, students learn how to analyse problems and then work to correct and overcome them.
· STEM education instils creativity. In our world of innovation, creativity is the fuel for new technologies and ideas. Creativity allows students to see problems in new ways and to think outside of the box.
Please feel free to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org should you require any more information.