Student Voice Leaders
My name is Rachel Ballantyne and I am responsible for Student Leadership at Beckfoot Thornton. I collate and support all the Student Leadership initiatives in the school and ensure that students are given the opportunity to be involved in these.
Student Voice is a priority group of Student Leadership in Beckfoot Thornton as they represent their year group on issues that may arise throughout the year. During the year they will attend workshops to do with Anti-Bullying, Rewards and other strategic elements throughout the school year. They will also be given training on ‘Student Panel’ which is a group steered to be the initial face of the school when we have external visitors, during reviews and for staff recruitment.
When helping in a variety of roles, they will experience many of the following strands of Leadership:
- Teamwork -working with each other, supporting the year teams to establish model patterns of behaviour
- Cooperation – supporting staff to deliver on different areas of student leadership strands
- Communication – form time presentations, assemblies
- Initiative – to be able to complete tasks set and complete on time to allow programs to run
- Planning – assemblies, form time activities
- Responsibility – areas of trust in meetings, where school policies are discussed
- Resilience – working with different year groups, staff
- Empathy – anti-bullying, supporting those who may need help
- Trust – information and topics discussed during workshops are between the groups
As a reward for their input, meetings and workshops often take place during lesson time. Chocolates are always a winner to show appreciation, and we are working towards a more bespoke reward for the group due to the commitment they provide doing this role.
Please feel free to contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org should you require any more information.