My name is Jordan Brough, I am an English teacher and I run the Debating Club at the school.
- Debate Club is held every Wednesday in the library from 2:30 to 3:30pm.
- Students from a range of year groups meet to debate the topics of our times in a structured and supportive environment.
- In 2018, Beckfoot Thornton's team reached the semi-final stage in a trust-wide competition held at Beckfoot School.
Though debate topics are often based around the week's SMSC subject, students are encouraged to submit their own ideas for debates. Recent debate questions have included:
- Is it ethical to raise a gender neutral child?
- Dangerous dogs: Nature or nurture?
- Is torture justified when in the interests of national security?
What you will get from joining the club
- Students will benefit from improving verbal communication through debating
- Confident communicators – listening then rationalising a coherent and productive response during debates
- Confident presenters, ability to deliver positively under pressure
- Develop a range of friendships with different year groups
If you are interested see Mr Brough in A22 or email firstname.lastname@example.org