About the Library
With an ever expanding collection of books and other resources, the Library is an inclusive space, committed to supporting the varied needs and interests of our young people, throughout their time at Beckfoot Thornton. In addition to supporting the curriculum we aim to promote and celebrate reading for pleasure. There is a small ICT suite in the Library, making it a good destination for students wishing to complete homework, or revise online, after school.
The Library is open during break and lunch for students who wish to exchange books, read quietly or do school work, and after school until 3.30pm Monday-Friday.
The Library Website and Catalogue
Our library OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) is a website where students can browse books, and search for resources.
By logging in, students can check their current loans, and leave book reviews. The library OPAC website also has the latest news and information from the library.
- Students are allowed to borrow 2 books at a time, loans usually last for 4 weeks.
- If students fail to return books on time they may be restricted to borrowing 1 book at a time, or have their borrowing accounts suspended.
- Students with a good record of borrowing books can ask to become ‘privilege’ borrowers, this allows them to take extra books and reserve new items as they are added to the Library collection.
- If a book is lost or damaged we typically ask that students make a small contribution (£2.50), towards the cost of replacing it. This helps us to maintain a good collection of books for all our students. Students are encouraged to talk to Miss Billingsley if they think a book may be lost or damaged, or if they think they have received an overdue note in error.
The Library Team
- Miss J Billingsley, Learning Resources Co-ordinator
Please contact us in school should you have any questions, or if you would like any further information.